Academy Member Inducted 2017Map & Directions
- Practice Commenced2013
- # of MEDS (as of 3/12/23)
- # of ARBS (as of 3/12/23)
Online / In-Person
- DALLAS-FORT WORTH METROPLEX
- SAN ANTONIO
- WICHITA FALLS
John DeGroote is a former global company general counsel now serving as an arbitrator and mediator in complex commercial, technology, and business matters involving parties and interests around the country and beyond. He believes early case assessment, proactive matter management, and the right questions -- at the right time -- drive results.
Prior to becoming a mediator John spent over 10 years at KPMG Consulting, ultimately known as BearingPoint, Inc., a $3 billion technology consulting firm with over 15,000 employees worldwide, where he served as Chief Litigation Counsel and, later, as the company's Executive Vice President and General Counsel.
John has been appointed to serve as the neutral intermediary, outside board member, escrow agent, or trustee for companies and situations requiring a trusted outside advisor around the country. Through these engagements John served as the Trustee to the BearingPoint, Inc. Liquidating Trust and has managed nationally recognized coal supplier Contura Energy, Inc., the Hawker Beechcraft Salaried Plan Settlement Fund, and CONMEBOL USA, Inc., the U.S. arm of the South American Football Confederation. Prior to his tenure at KPMG Consulting/BearingPoint, John practiced at McKool Smith, P.C., Jackson & Walker, L.L.P., and First USA, Inc., a nationwide financial services concern.
John is a past Chair of the State Bar of Texas' ADR Section, a past Chair of the Dallas Bar Association's ADR Section, and a past Chair of the Duke Law School Alumni Association Board of Directors. He received his mediation training at the Pepperdine University School of Law's Straus Institute for Dispute Resolution in 2005, and is a graduate of Duke Law School and Mississippi State University.
Outside his professional life, John serves as the Scoutmaster to Boy Scout Troop 70 and has served on a number of nonprofit boards. As a youth he earned the Eagle Scout award and served as a Majority Floor Page in the United States Senate.
John lives in Dallas with his wife and three boys.
- Banking & Finance
- Business Dissolution
- Class Actions
- Contract Disputes
- Energy Sector (Oil/Gas)
- Family Businesses
- Health Care
- Intellectual Property
- Media & Communications
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Non-profit Organizations
- Product Liability
- Professional Liability
- Professional Negligence
- Shareholder Disputes
- Unfair Competition
- Venture Capital
- Duke University School of Law, J.D., 1990
- Mississippi State University, B.A., 1986
Memberships & Affiliations
- Commercial Panel Member, American Arbitration Association
- Past Chair, State Bar of Texas ADR Section
- Past Chair, Dallas Bar Association ADR Section
- Past Chair, National Litigation Committee, Association of Corporate Counsel
- Past Chair, General Counsel Forum, Dallas/Fort Worth Chapter
- Past Chair, Duke Law School Alumni Association Board of Directors
- Past Chair, Duke Law School Future Forum
- Past Trustee, St. John’s Episcopal School Board of Trustees
- Past Director, Dwell with Dignity Foundation
- Member, Association of Attorney-Mediators
- Inaugural Member, ADR Champions List, The National Law Journal
- Best Lawyers in Dallas, D Magazine
- Texas Super Lawyer, ADR
- Life Fellow, Texas Bar Foundation
John's fee schedule is available at https://degrootepartners.com/fees/.