- Practice Commenced: 2014
- Total Mediations (as of Jan 2022): 200
- Total Arbitrations (as of Jan 2022): 400
- BEAUMONT-PORT ARTHUR
- COLLEGE STATION-BRYAN
- DALLAS-FORT WORTH METROPLEX
- EL PASO
- SAN ANTONIO
- WICHITA FALLS
Arbitrator, mediator and attorney with nearly 30 years of legal experience in federal court, state court, bankruptcy court, appellate court, and the American Arbitration Association. Since 2014, served as neutral in over 600 disputes. Disputes range from two party disputes to multi-party disputes (including disputes involving 10 or more parties). Amounts in controversy range from $10,000 to in excess of $1 billion. Offering online, in-person and hybrid mediation and arbitration.
BANKRUPTCY ADR: Served as neutral in disputes involving plan negotiations, claims disputes, operational disputes, avoidance actions (including fraudulent transfers and preferences), secured transactions, guaranties, and various adversary proceedings.
BUSINESS AND COMMERCIAL ADR: Served as neutral in disputes involving business litigation, business separations, collections, contracts, corporate governance, corporations, credit defaults, director and officer liability, fiduciary duties, financial services, guaranties, health insurance, limited liability companies and partnerships, insurance, non-competes, operating agreements, partnerships, personal injury, professional liability, representations and warranties, secured transactions, surety bonds, and tortious interference. Served as neutral in pre-litigation disputes.
CONSUMER ADR: Served as neutral in disputes involving collections, credit defaults, fraud, landlord-tenant, warranties, Telephone Consumer Protection Act, Texas Debt Collection Act, and Texas Deceptive Trade Practices Act.
ENERGY/OIL AND GAS ADR: Served as neutral in disputes involving exploration and production, joint operating agreements, oil and gas leases, royalties and overrides, statutory lien rights and vendor liens, oilfield services contracts, fiduciary duties, gathering and transportation agreements, credit defaults, and guaranties.
EMPLOYMENT ADR: Served as neutral in disputes involving separation, severance, non-compete, benefits, employment contracts, and a variety of discrimination claims.
HEALTHCARE: Served as neutral in healthcare network disputes, balanced billing disputes, and other disputes between facilities and providers.
Panel service includes American Arbitration Association; International Institute for Conflict Prevention and Resolution (CPR) Panels of Distinguished Neutrals; National Academy of Distinguished Neutrals (Texas); American Health Law Association; United States District Court, Southern District of Texas, Qualified Alternative Dispute Resolution Provider; Texas Department of Insurance – Independent Dispute Resolution Panel of Arbitrators and Mediators; Virginia Bureau of Insurance - Balanced Billing Arbitrator Panel; Washington Office of the Insurance Commissioner - Balanced Billing Arbitrator Panel.
Credentialed Advanced Mediator with Texas Mediator Credentialing Association.
- Banking & Finance
- Business Dissolution
- Consumer Fraud
- Contract Disputes
- Debt Collections
- Energy Sector (Oil/Gas)
- Family Businesses
- Health Care
- Land Use/Planning
- Legal Malpractice
- Lemon Law
- Libel & Slander
- Medical Malpractice
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Mortgage Foreclosure
- Non-profit Organizations
- Personal Injury
- Product Liability
- Professional Fees
- Professional Liability
- Professional Malpractice
- Professional Negligence
- Property Damage
- Railroad & Trucking
- Real Estate
- Shareholder Disputes
- Title Disputes
- Venture Capital
Sylvia graduated from Washington University in 1987, cum laude, with a B.A. in Theater. After working for three years in the arts community in Houston, Sylvia went to law school and, in 1993, graduated from the University of Houston Law Center, summa cum laude.
Memberships & Affiliations
ADR Panel Affiliations and Credentials:
- American Arbitration Association - Commercial Arbitration Panel, Consumer Arbitration Panel, Commercial Mediation Panel, and Employment Mediation Panel
- National Academy of Distinguished Neutrals (Texas) Roster
- International Institute for Conflict Prevention and Resolution (CPR) Panels of Distinguished Neutrals - General Commercial Panel, Health Care and Life Sciences Panel, Municipal Bankruptcy Panel, and Dispute Prevention Panel
- American Health Law Association Neutrals Roster
- Texas Department of Insurance – Balanced Billing Arbitrator and Mediator Panels
- Virginia Bureau of Insurance - Balanced Billing Arbitrator Panel
- Washington Office of the Insurance Commissioner - Balanced Billing Arbitrator Panel
- United States District Court, Southern District of Texas, Qualified Alternative Dispute Resolution Provider
- Credentialed Advanced Mediator with Texas Mediator Credentialing Association
- American Bar Association
- American Bankruptcy Institute
- Association of Attorney-Mediators
- American Health Law Association
- Association of Women Attorneys
- Academy of Court-Appointed Masters
- Houston Bar Association
- State Bar of Texas
- Texas Association of Mediators
- Texas Mediators Credentialing Association
My standard rates for Mediation are $600 per party for a half day mediation (4 hours or less) or $1,200 per party for a full day mediation.
My standard rate for Arbitration is $395 per hour, plus if applicable, travel expenses.