Academy Member Inducted 2010Map & Directions
Ben is a founding Member of the Alternative Dispute Resolution ("ADR") firm, Galton, Cunningham & Bourgeois, P.L.L.C. (Lakeside Mediation Center). During his twenty three year career as a mediator, trial attorney, and settlement counsel representing plaintiffs and defendants, Ben has earned the reputation as a skilled lawyer and creative and highly effective mediator in thousands of mediation and negotiation matters. In addition to his "boots on the ground" experience as a nationally recognized mediator, Ben also is involved with teaching basic and advanced mediators, as a trainer in many CLE programs, and as an Adjunct Professor. For ten years, he has served on the Graduate Advisory Board at Texas State University for its Masters Degree programs in Legal Studies and ADR, and in 2010 was appointed to the Board of Directors of the Austin/Travis County Dispute Resolution Center.
A member of the Texas Bar since 1988, Ben began his legal career with the Austin firm of Bankston, Wright & Greenhill, P.C. as a trial attorney in the firm s commercial litigation and insurance defense sections. With Eric Galton, in 1988 Ben established the first formal ADR section in a Texas law firm. From 1991 to 1996, Ben was of counsel with the litigation firm of George, Donaldson & Ford, L.L.P., practicing in the areas of complex commercial litigation, tort, media, constitutional, insurance, real estate, and personal injury litigation and ADR. In 1996, Ben joined the firm of George & Donaldson, L.L.P. as a partner, working exclusively on a broad range of complex ADR and litigation matters.
In 2000, Ben resigned his law firm partnership to form the ADR firm of Galton, Cunningham & Bourgeois, P.L.L.C. (Lakeside Mediation Center) with Eric Galton and Gregory T. Bourgeois. Ben maintained an Of-Counsel relationship with the firm of George & Brothers, L.L.P., representing a limited number of clients in litigation and settlement counsel matters. In early 2008, Ben limited his practice exclusively to the arenas of mediation and selected settlement counsel engagements. As an attorney, Ben has represented corporations, national and international media companies, governmental entities, small businesses and individuals in the arenas of civil litigation, arbitration, administrative law, and ADR. As a mediator, Ben has mediated almost every conceivable dispute, and is known for his creative and innovative approaches to dispute resolution. Over more than twenty years of mediating, Ben has gained a reputation as a mediator who can tackle the complex and "garden-variety" disputes with equal enthusiasm and success, and is known as a "go-to" mediator for difficult and complex cases.
More information about Ben may be found on the professional sites LinkedIn and Avvo.
- ADA Disability
- Arts (Fine/Performing)
- Banking & Finance
- Civil Rights
- Community Associations
- Consumer Fraud
- Contract Disputes
- Cross Cultural
- Debt Collections
- Eminent Domain
- Energy Sector (Oil/Gas)
- Entertainment Sector
- Family Businesses
- Health Care
- Intellectual Property
- Legal Malpractice
- Media & Communications
- Medical Malpractice
- Non-profit Organizations
- Nursing Homes
- Personal Injury
- Premises Liability
- Product Liability
- Professional Fees
- Professional Liability
- Professional Malpractice
- Professional Negligence
- Public Policy
- Real Estate
- Religious Institutions
- Shareholder Disputes
- Title Disputes
- Trusts / Estates
- Workers' Compensation
- Wrongful Death
B.A., University of the State of New York, Albany
J.D., South Texas College of Law
Memberships & Affiliations
- Board of Directors, Austin/Travis County Dispute Resolution Center.
- Credentialed-Distinguished Mediator designation, Texas Mediator Credentialing Association.
- AV-Preeminent Rating, Martindale-Hubbell.
- Former Director: Texas Association of Mediators.
- Advisory Board Member, ADR Graduate Programs, Texas State University.
- Adjunct Mediation Professor, Texas State University, ABA accredited ADR/Legal Studies - Masters Degree program.
- Frequent lecturer, Advanced Mediation, Texas Association of Mediators.
- Annual series of Lakeside Mediation advanced mediator CLE: "Mastering Mediation".
- Former Member, Association of Conflict Resolution (formerly, SPIDR).
- Member, Association of Attorney Mediators.
- Approved Federal Court Mediator; U.S. District Courts.
- National Panel of Consumer Arbitrators, 1986
- American Jurisprudence Award, ADR
- Texas Lawyers and Accountants for the Arts Advanced Mediation Training.
- United States Postal System REDRESS mediation training, 1999
- Numerous speaking engagements, ADR presentations.
- Lecturer and writer on Ethics in Mediation.
- Co-Producer/Trainer: award winning "Preparing Clients for Mediation" video
- International Academy of Collaborative Professionals
Please call Lakeside Mediation for details. (512) 477-9300